Monday, June 12, 2006

Fridays are so 2005.

So, I don’t really like going out on Friday night. Generally, I’m tired and a little cranky, and it’s rare that there is anything very cool going on Friday night anyway. That’s why I didn’t consider it much of a sacrifice that my long runs are early Saturday morning. Somehow, though, I forgot to include in my calculations the fact that there is a big difference between choosing not to go out and feel prohibited from going out. Thus, Friday was kind of a bummer – boring and lonely and I basically just roamed my apartment and ate stuff all night.

However. Saturday morning was basically 82 percent worth it! The route could have certainly been more awesome – they had us do a there-and-back twice so they could time those of use who haven’t been timed yet at 3 miles. But it was really relaxed and fun, and it wasn’t too hot until the end, since we started at 8 am. It was supposed to be 6 miles, but I mapped it, and it was nearly seven. Here’s the route.


Also, I’m not going to lie, it was nice to discover that I am not a huge slow ass in this crowd. There are many non-runners, an abundance of run-walkers, and a handful of fasties, so I am where I have always wanted to be: in the middle. I strive for mediocrity, baby.


Yesterday, I did the four-mile route through the zoo that Katy mapped out. Here’s the route, as best as I can figure out. Really, though, it’s about 3.5 miles of running, because what kind of a monster could keep running when there are adorable animal to ogle?


The bad news is, at the end of the run, and for the rest of the night, I felt my old foe Shin Splints trying to return. I think this is totally manageable, so I am not going to stress too much about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home