Tuesday, October 24, 2006

So, You Want To Be a Stalker

I bet marathons are like Christmas for stalkers. They're like tears in the rain.

That's right, stalkers, hide those binoculars no more! Pull that telephoto lens out of your trunk, and set up the ol' tripod! Proudly, proudly wear a t-shirt adorned with your target's countenance! No technology is too intrusive! No declarations of adoration too public!

Yeah, so on that note, here's the low-down on how to watch me from afar. Or near. Just don't cut me into little pieces.

The whole Marine Corps Marathon website is pretty incredible, but I will give you the highlights.

Here are the tips for anyone who wants to cheer on the sidelines.

Here is a super-fun and totally terrifying (if you are me) map of the course. Click on the triangle next to "MCM Course" and then put checks in boxes to see where stuff happens on the course. This can answer gnawing questions like, where will Daphne drink Gatorade? Where will Daphne see her time so far? Where will Daphne eat Clif Shots? Yes, it is indeed a fascinating window into the marathon experience.

Combine that with this elevation map for some sense of the level of pain I am suffering at any given moment. (See those little bumps at Miles 5, 13 and 19? Turns out they are not little.)

Oh, but that's just the beginning.

Here is where you can get email and cell phone updates on where exactly I am. Seriously. Just put in your email address and make up a password. Then, put in my last name (email me if you don't know it, and I will consider the likelihood that you will chop me into little pieces.) If you have trouble, just let me know.

If you are on site, you can actually track my every move as explained here.

I really hope to see as many of you people as possible on race day. If you can't make it, that's cool. I mean, we had a good run, right? I'm sure we will both make new friends.

Keep in mind that I will be slowwwww. On a 4:1, run/walk ratio, you can expect me to do between an 11 and 12-minute mile for the first half. As for the last 13 miles, who the hell knows? I'll probably just go as fast as my little hands can claw at the ground.

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Photography said...

I remember the day I walked into my den to hear you and K proudly proclaim that you were officially "runners" after a 4 mile run in the freezing cold. And now look at you! Good luck on Sunday!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock Daphne! We'll be out there to cheer you on!!! How do you spell your last name again!!! I've got my binoculars and trench coat ready! ;-)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home