Monday, July 17, 2006

Daphne and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I have a hell of a roller coaster for you today. It goes something like this:

The long run Saturday was the second-most-miserable in my life because it was hotter than hell and twice as humid, but then it got kind of awesome because I had this huge realization that I am seriously going to run a marathon, so I was really happy, and then I realized I had just run further than ever, ever, which was also awesome, and then I tried a really easy run Sunday, which hurt a lot, and now I just got back from the doctor, who said I have shin splints (duh) and gluteal tendonitis (huh?) in my left leg, which obviously sucked.

I’m bummed (hence the extreme liberties taken with grammar above). Tomorrow I start physical therapy. I go back to the doc in 10 days. If I’m not better by then, he will do an MRI to see if I have a stress fracture. I so totally don’t have a stress fracture.

I am well aware that this isn’t a huge deal, but he said to “try not to run” for “a week or two.” I’m just a smidge paranoid, because I’m sort of convinced that if I take said week or two off, I will be losing whatever capability I have to run long distances, and I will be starting over when the rest of my group is running 14 miles at a time.

Oh, and that tendonitis stuff is apparently caused by the fact that I am running funny because of my stupid shin splints (by the way, I checked, and it’s always plural. Like pants). And all of this likely goes back to the fact that I broke my leg a few years ago, which means my left leg is still a little weaker than my super-buff right leg.

When we have a little time, I’ll tell you the tale about the time I broke my leg on roller skates in the dead of winter. No, I wasn’t 5. I believe I was 25.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home